On Monday, April 12, CHS will begin offering in-person instruction to all students who have requested it, following a hybrid model. Students in Cohort A will attend school on Monday-Tuesday, and students in Cohort B will attend Wednesday and Thursday.
- For more information about the new model, click here.
Please read this page for useful information such as bus routes.
Important Notices about Bus Service
- Bus space is very limited. CHS is presently contacting those families who are being offered bus service. Other students should find alternative transportation. If you are unsure whether your student has a confirmed spot on the bus or if your child needs to be added to a waitlist for bus transportation, please contact the school.
- Bus routes will change on April 12. Please click button below to see current information.
New Safety Practices for In-Person Instruction
I will do a daily health screening before my child leaves for school. The screening checks temperature plus other symptoms/ risk factors. See screening tool here.
Proper mask-wearing (over the mouth and nose) is required at all school-related sites unless my child receives permission (such as to eat or take a mask break). If my child requires a medical or developmental exception, I will supply documentation to the school.
In addition to mask-wearing, other school health routines such as social distancing, hand-washing, assigned seats, and health screenings will be in place.
Schools are limiting visitors. Family will be asked to drop off and pick up students (and any needed materials) outside the building.
Children will be going outside for outdoor learning as much as possible. I can let the school know if my child needs any inclement weather clothing.
Students will not share food or equipment such as a microwave.
I agree to keep my child (and any siblings) home from school if:
- They or any close contacts are showing COVID symptoms.
- They or any close contacts are waiting on COVID test results.
- They or any close contacts have tested positive for COVID.
- They or anyone in their household have been asked to quarantine
If my child shows symptoms or gets exposed at school, I will make arrangements for the child and any siblings to be picked up/return home ASAP (within an hour).
If my child has exhibited symptoms or been asked to quarantine, my child and all siblings will stay home from school until cleared by a doctor (or until the recommended period has elapsed — usually 10 days for a COVID diagnosis and 14 days for a quarantine).
Schools may need to shift certain students, classrooms, schools, or even all Charlottesville City Schools back to online learning for a period of time.
If your child has been assigned a spot on the bus:
- My child will ride the bus regularly and will be picked up and dropped off at the same assigned location.
- At the bus stop and on the bus, I will support bus safety practices such as mask-wearing, social distancing, and assigned seats.
- When boarding the bus, my child will be screened for fever or symptoms and will use hand sanitizer.
- For students in PreK-grade 6: I agree that a designated adult will wait with my child until they have been screened so that if they show symptoms at the bus stop, the child and all students in the household can return home with the adult. (Designated adult does not need to be a family member.) Adults, please help us by wearing a mask and practicing COVID safety.
- For students in grades 7-12: I understand that if my student shows symptoms at the bus stop, my student will be directed to return home. The school will attempt to contact parents/guardians.
If your child is not on a bus:
- My child will be screened for fever or symptoms and will use hand sanitizer upon arrival at school.
- If I am driving children to school, I agree to wait until the health screening is complete and will assume responsibility to take home all the children in my car if any child I am driving displays symptoms. Children may be screened in the car.
- For walkers/bike riders in PreK-grade 6: if my child displays symptoms, I agree to arrange pick-up of my child and any siblings within an hour.
- For walkers/bike riders/self-drivers in grades 7-12: if my child displays symptoms, I agree to arrange for my child and any siblings to be picked up or to return home on their own within an hour.
Charlottesville City Schools is committed to teaching the skills that will keep us all safe. However, if your child or family struggles to uphold these safety commitments, for the safety of your child and our school community, we may reassign your child to virtual learning or family-supplied transportation.
Thanks for your partnership as we plan for a safe return to in-person instruction!
Ready to Sign the Agreement?
Print-ready Versions of Key Documents
- Safety Rules/Agreement Form | Daily Health Screener
- Formulario de acuerdo y normas de seguridad | Evaluador de Salud Diaro
New Information about Meal Deliveries (Updated Routes)