Dear CHS staff and families –
I’m writing with an update about the hiring of the next principal for CHS. Dr. I leaves big shoes to fill, but we will work together to find the right person.
The position opened last week, and we already have the basis for a strong pool of candidates. Soon, we hope to convene an interview committee that includes staff and family representatives.
Please complete this short survey about your priorities and hopes for the next principal. These responses will guide the work of this committee. In addition, as part of the survey, you can express your willingness to be part of the interview committee.
Thanks for your patience and understanding during this transitional time!
Dr. Royal A. Gurley, Jr.
Dear Black Knights staff and families,
I’m writing with mixed feelings to let you know that I have accepted a division-level opportunity at another school division, and I’ll be leaving CHS at the end of the month. Since I arrived in 2016, I have been so inspired by the students, staff, families, and community that make up Charlottesville High School. My time at CHS has been marked by many challenges – from the neo-Nazi rallies in 2016 to the COVID pandemic starting in 2020 – but each of of these moments has pushed us all to deepen our relationships and strengthen our commitment to doing better. These challenges have made the victories so much sweeter.
A few favorite memories:
- Last week’s graduation (every graduation, really, even the “victory lap” celebration during the height of the pandemic)
- Seeing our graduation rates rise to an all-time high of 96.4% with every racial, ethnic, and learning group in the 90s or higher
- Working with passionate, informed, and action-oriented students
- Working with passionate, informed, and action-oriented staff
- Celebrating excellence in areas as diverse as the fine arts, urban farming, engineering, social-emotional supports, and athletics
- Working together to advance equity in instruction, grading, school culture, and so much more, knowing that these efforts benefit every single member of our community.
I could go on. I am so honored to have been your principal, and so proud of each and every student and staff member for the effort and growth that I’ve seen. Thank you for all the partnership and support over these six years.
I am excited for my new opportunity – and I’m also excited for the future of Charlottesville High School. I leave a truly talented administrative team in place at the school, and Charlottesville City Schools is fortunate to have Dr. Gurley at the helm. The future of CHS is bright – Go Black Knights!
Dr. Eric Irizarry