CHS Conferences will be held on Thursday, November 8 from 5-7pm. Sign up (see below) to schedule a time to meet with your teachers.
Venable will be offering tours to prospective parents on the dates listed below. All tours take place at 9:15 a.m. and last approximately 45 minutes. We limit the number of participants on each tour to ensure that everyone can hear and ask questions. Please call Ms. Lawson in the Venable office to register – 434-245-2418.
- October 25
- December 6
- January 10
- February 7
- March 7
- April 11
Parents should plan to arrive in the front office a few minutes early to sign in and receive visitors’ passes. Please allot time for parking as there are only a few spots available on site and many of the neighborhood streets do not permit non-resident parking during the day.
Unfortunately, requests for tours at other dates and times cannot be honored due to the disruption to classes.
If you are an out-of-division family who would like to apply for a space at Venable next year, we begin accepting applications in April. Click here for information about the application process.
Charlottesville-area residents can now register to participate in the 13th Annual Clark Elementary School “Buzz by Belmont” 5K Run/Walk on Saturday, October 6.
“The race is a celebration of fitness, student achievement, and family fun that starts and finishes at Clark Elementary School and has become a tradition in the neighborhood and Charlottesville fitness community,” said Clark Elementary PTO President Mike Poncy.
The race starts at 8:00 a.m. and takes participants along a rolling course through the diverse neighborhoods that comprise the Clark Elementary School district. There will also be a free Kids Dash for elementary students (Pre-K to 4th grade) which will start at 9:00 a.m. on the Clark Elementary Field. The dash will be run by age group and contained to the Clark field.
Fees range from pay-what-you-can donations for Clark Families to a $10 youth fee or
$20 for adults 18-and-over for early registrations. Prices increase $5 after 9/15. Race tshirts
are guaranteed for all early registrations.
This year’s event is being sponsored in part by a Virginia Department of Transportation Safe Routes to School mini-grant. The Safe Routes to School program aims to encourage students to walk to school regularly and safely. In addition to providing built-in exercise for students, the program seeks to reduce traffic congestion and emissions around
The race is officiated by the Charlottesville Track Club, and is part of the C-ville-athon
running circuit. All proceeds benefit the Clark Education Opportunity Fund. Post-race
activities will be held at Clark and will include cheering for the kids dash, Safe Routes to
School bicycle rodeo, a raffle featuring local business gift cards, and race prizes.
When: Saturday, October 6, 2018 starting at 8am (check-in at 7:30am).
Who: Runners, walkers, and strollers are welcome.
Where: Start and finish at Clark Elementary School, 1000 Belmont Avenue.
Registration: Sign up now! Early Bird pricing until September 15. Tshirts guaranteed for all early registrants.
Sign up to Volunteer: Sign up here. There are many ways to help and have fun!
Thanks to our Sponsors:Safe Routes to School, Ting, The Local, Stanley Martin, ACAC, Nest Realty, Three Notched Brewing Company and Craft Kitchen, Stony Point Design/Build, Ragged Mountain Running Shop, and Charlottesville Track Club.
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents. Additional recognition for CCS from a variety of Niche categories include:
- #2 of 133 – Most Diverse School Divisions
- #3 of 132 – Best Places to Teach in Virginia
- #6 of 132 – Districts with the Best Teachers in Virginia.
- A+ ranking in College Prep and Diversity categories and A in Academics and Teachers.
We’re proud of the good work of our students and teachers, and we appreciate the support of our community. While any given ranking system has its limitations, Charlottesville City Schools has done so well by so many measures, that the combined feedback paints a portrait of excellence. Three other indicators would include:
- 100 percent of Charlottesville City Schools met the state’s accreditation standards in 2017-18, compared with 86 percent of schools statewide. Out of 132 divisions in Virginia, Charlottesville is one of just 65 divisions that presently have all their schools fully accredited.
- CHS students far surpass the state and nation on SAT exams.
- CHS has earned 11 blue ribbon awards from the Virginia Music Educators Association in recognition of musical excellence.
As Yom Kippur approaches, we note that we accidentally scheduled some back-to-school nights on 9/18. We apologize & will develop better systems to prevent a recurrence. If you can’t attend but want to meet with your teacher or get school updates, please contact your school.
- Burnley-Moran: Tuesday, September 18, 5:30-7pm
- Clark: Tuesday, September 18, 5:30-7pm
- Greenbrier: Tuesday, September 18, 6-7:30pm
- Jackson-Via: Tuesday, September 18, 6-7:30pm
- Johnson: Tuesday, September 18, 6-7:30pm
- Venable: Thursday, September 20, 5:30-7:30pm (Welcome Back Pot Luck to follow)
- Walker: Tuesday, September 11, 6-8pm
- CHS: Monday, September 17, 5-7pm
- LMA: tba
School Day Hours:
- 9:05am to 3:50pm (with a one-hour delayed start on the 2nd Thursday of some months)
Open House Information:
- The CHS open house is Monday, August 20 from 5-7pm.
- Virtual education orientation is August 20, beginning at 1:30pm. Click here for important information about requirements and session schedule.
- CATEC orientation is Wednesday, August 15, from 5-7pm.
Save-the-Dates for Rising 9th-Graders:
- August 20, 9th Grade Orientation (LINK Crew), 9am -1:30pm
- August 20, Open House, 5-7pm
- August 22, 1st day of school, 9:05am
School Supplies List:
Summer Reading List:
- For a variety of excellent choices for grades 9-12, visit the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) book lists:
Chromebook Distribution Information
- Chromebooks will be distributed by grade level the week of August 6. Click here for schedule.
- Please visit our CHS Counseling website for important dates, career and college preparation information, and more!
- College Counselor Assignments have changed for 2018-19 school year. Our caseloads are determined by our students’ last names and if they are part of the ESL program. Please see the distribution below to know which counselor to contact.
(434) 245-2686Department Chair & T-Wa:
Sarah Elaine Hart
We-Z & ESL:
Office hours for school counselors are 8:30-4:00pm, Monday-Friday. Please contact your student’s counselor if you would like to request an appointment.
Fall Sports Information:
- Visit gocville.org to follow CHS sports and activities, including try-out info and parent meetings.
Senior Portrait Information:
- Senior Picture Day: August 9, 2018, 9am-4pm, CHS small gym – View slots here
- Senior Make-Up: September 12, 2018, 9am-pm, CHS small gym – View slots here
- See a FAQ about senior portraits below.
- For questions regarding price, packages or setup, contact Lifetouch for more info at 540-562-3107 or 800-366-0639.
Senior Portraits —
Q: Where do I view my photo slot?
A: Visit (link coming soon)
Q: What if the time doesn’t work for me?
A: Contact Ms. Dianne Ewing at ewingd1@
Q: What if I miss my time slot?
A: If you can come to the MLKPAC before 3:30pm on Senior Picture Day, come on out. Otherwise do make ups.
Q. Where do I take my photo?
A: Go to the PAC, and they will direct you from there.
Q: What should I wear?
A. Wear an undershirt and bring several of your favorite outfits.
Q: Should I take a photo?
A: Yes, it gets you a Senior id, you may want to use the formal shot to send out to relatives, and it’s the first check on your name and image for the yearbook. You can still submit a private photo as well.
Q: What if I want to submit a personal photo?
A: First, take your photo with Lifetouch on Senior Picture Day in the PAC and then do your private setting. Submit the private one by October 1st to Ms. Ewing at ewingd1@
9th-11th Grade Portrait Information:
- Non-Senior Picture Day: September 18-19, 9am-4pm, MLK PAC or CHS small gym
- Non-Senior Picture Make-Up Day: October 17, 9am-4pm, MLK PAC or CHS small gym
Staff Portrait Information:
- Staff Picture Day: August 17, 2018
- Individual portraits: 12-4pm
- Staff group photo: 11:45am
For a downloadable PDF of the CHS Summer Events calendar (July-August), click here.
Come meet your teachers and see your classrooms! Open houses this year will be on Monday, August 20, 2018. School starts on Wednesday, August 22, 2018.
Wednesday, August 15, 2018
CATEC Open House is Wednesday, August 15, from 5-7pm
Monday, August 20, 2018
- CHS Freshman Orientation: 9am-1:30pm
- Elementary Schools: 1–3pm
- CHS Virtual Orientation for online classes: 1pm. See here for more information.
- Walker Upper Elementary: 3-5pm
- Buford Middle School: 4-6pm
- CHS 5-7pm
Wednesday, August 22, 2018
First day of school. See school hours below.
- Elementary: 8:00am to 2:30pm
- Buford and Walker: 8:30am to 3:15pm
- CHS: 9:05am to 3:50pm (with a one-hour delayed start on the 2nd Thursday of some months)
Need a summer reading list? Click here.
For information about required vaccinations, click here.
The first day of school is almost here, and we can’t wait to welcome back our students!
- Open house is Monday, August 20, 2017 from 4-6pm
- School starts on Wednesday, August 22, 2018. Hours are 8:30am -3:15pm
- Buford School Supplies List 2018-19
- Letter to parents from Principal Carter, August 6, 2018
- Community Visits schedule–Come meet your administrators!
Buford Middle School students are assigned a Chromebook (computer) and charger for the school year. Buford students, along with their parents/guardians, will have the opportunity to pick up their Chromebook prior to the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year.
Pick-Up Dates and Times (in Buford Cafeteria)
- Monday, August 13th: 3-6pm
- Tuesday, August 14th: 3-6pm
- Wednesday, August 15th: 4-6pm
- Thursday, August 16th: 3-6pm
- Friday, August 17th: 3-6pm
- Tuesday, August 21st: 3-6pm
Please take advantage of these dates and times so your child can avoid long lines on the first day of school. *Chromebooks will not be distributed during Open House.
TIP: Use your child’s Chromebook to log into PowerSchool and easily complete your back-to-school forms with InfoSnap! Information about creating a PowerSchool account will be mailed to your home in August.
Also, you and your family might enjoy meeting up with Books on Bikes, a group of Charlottesville City Schools teachers, librarians, staff, and even trained doggie pals as they make summertime deliveries of books and freezy-pops.
Summer Reading Recommendations and Information:
- Grade 1
- Grade 2
- Grade 3
- Grade 4
- Grade 5
- Grade 6
- 2018 Middle School Reading Recommendations-grades 7 and 8
- CHS-For a variety of excellent choices for grades 9-12, visit the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) book lists:
Need a open house schedule? Click here.