The new BACON Bits science team competed in their first Science Olympiad, earning 2nd in the Bio-Process Lab event! The club gets its name from BACON, the Best All-around Club of Nerds, at CHS.
Buford students Eleanor Brown, Ella Harrigan, and Margaret Folger earned 1st, 2nd, and honorable mention in the poetry and prose categories of the Writer’s Eye competition sponsored by U.Va.’s Fralin Museum of Art.
- Orchestra A: Eleanor Hilgart, Autumn Hiller, Jamila Pitre, Jonathan Lerdau, and Walker Lloyd — Violin 1; Minh Dao and Sofia Nichols — Violin 2; Ben Brantley, Wyatt Collier, and David Wiles — Cello; Rebecca Lerdau and Charlotte Bloor — Bass.
- Orchestra B: Dante Walker, Sam Bowling, Marietta Feigert — Violin 1; Briana Bradley and Georgia Layman — Violin 2; Nina Brooks, Jack Dreesen-Higginbotham, Sophi Stewart — Viola; Jake Bowling, Amara Green, Nikolas Dillery, Zoe Moreland, and Ben Yates (alt) — Cello; Edie Calvert — Bass.
The Newsplex ran a nice story about the multi-talented Buford student, Dante Walker, who finds inspiration from the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as he plays the piano for patients and staff at Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital.
Eighth-grader Caroline McLellan won the GEAR UP poster contest, and in total, Buford students earned 5 out of the top 11 spots in the contest open to 29 Virginia schools. GEAR UP is a college readiness emphasis for the State Council of High Education for Virginia.
Buford hosted a read-a-thon and family reading night, featuring guest authors, a book swap, and more.
Teacher David Zentmeyer of Buford was named Virginia’s Special Olympics Coach of the Year. Congratulations to you and your team!
Guest violinist Eric Stanley performed at Buford, CHS, and Walker this month. Stanley, a graduate of VCU, fuses classical, pop, jazz, and hip-hop elements.
Buford and Walker students recently participated in an art-engineering collaboration, creating a giant sea creature for use in the upcoming performances of No Wake, produced in partnership with the Bridge PAI.
Upcoming events include:
- March 1, 2-Hour Delay at All Schools (due to presidential primary elections)
- March 3, School Board Meeting, CHS Media Center, 5pm
- March 14-23 (except weekends), Art Connections Division-Wide Exhibition at CHS Small Gym
- Mary 15-May 9, CCS Faculty Art Exhibition at MLKPAC lobby
- March 17-20, Theater CHS presents Aida
- March 19: Saturday Celebrations Family Event at Art Connections, 10am-2pm
- March 21: Registration opens for Camp ExL (the summer CLASS camps)
- March 23: Open House with Musical Entertainment at Art Connections, 4-8pm
- March 25: End of 3rd quarter
- March 30: All-City Choral Festival, 7pm, MLKPAC
- April 1: Snow Make-Up Day
Remember that you can subscribe to our Google calendar of school holidays and as well as the Buford Google calendar for school-specific events. (To see both division-wide holidays and school-specific events, you’ll need to subscribe to both.) Instructions are at charlottesvilleschoools.org/calendar.
- To see division-wide highlights, read the Superintendent Message.