For over a decade, the Charlottesville and Albemarle County school divisions have worked together for a common calendar. A joint committee creates a draft calendar, and then we ask for input from students, teachers, administration, and parents. If necessary, the committee makes revisions to the draft before submitting a recommended calendar to the two school boards for approval.
- 2017-18 calendar 2nd draft
- Since the majority of survey respondents supported the proposed draft, the only changes from the original draft are to convert the half-day scheduled for 2/16 into a full teaching day, and to change how we will handle snow days.
- The calendar will be presented to the School Board for review in December with an expected vote in January.
A word about this year’s calendar:
- Winter break: We have traditionally held a two-week break running Monday-Friday. This year, the committee has proposed a two-week break that starts on a Wednesday to allow travel time for families before the holidays. The October 2016 survey of the initial draft indicated that a majority of respondents favored this approach.
- Spring break: Our practice is to designate the first full week of April as our spring break. We are sometimes asked, Can’t you align spring break with U.Va.’s? U.Va.’s spring break is typically at the beginning of March, which for K-12 students would make for a very long stretch without a break later in the spring. So while we recognize that this would be a good solution for U.Va. families, we feel that it doesn’t represent the interests of all our students and staff. The October 2016 survey of the initial draft indicated that a majority of respondents favored this approach.
- Half-days: This year’s calendar introduces two new early dismissal days in the spring semester in place of one full day off for a teacher workday prior to spring break. The October 2016 survey of the initial draft indicated enough concerns about the half-days that we eliminated one of them.