“It’s like a home away from home,” said one fourth-grader, referring to her new classroom space at Clark Elementary.
Fourth-grade classroom renovations at Clark Elementary School were completed in 2018 as the first project in a division-wide plan to modernize facilities. The project, completed by VMDO Architects, included upgrades to classroom furniture, lighting, and flooring, along with new cubbies, library nooks, and shelving.
“We are so grateful to the City of Charlottesville for supporting these efforts to upgrade our schools,” said assistant superintendent Kim Powell. “As we turn our attention to the next phase of design at Jackson-Via Elementary, we are confident that next year’s project will be just a strong and impactful.”
Now that the Clark students have settled in, here is what some of them had to say about their new learning spaces.
- Coleburn, Caroline. “Students and Teachers Welcome Upgrades to Clark Elementary School.” Home – WVIR NBC29 Charlottesville News, Sports, and Weather, 29 Aug. 2018.
- Kreth, Gracie. “$1M Clark Elementary Classroom Modernization Kicking Off.” Daily Progress/Charlottesville Tomorrow. 20 Jun. 2018
- Jackson-Via Completes Modernization
- Burnley-Moran Up Next for School Renovation, Daily Progress, January 9, 2020.
- Facilities Planning for the Future (an update on Cville Schools facilities, including the School Board’s 2019 plan to redesign Walker as a preschool center, modernize Buford as a grade 6-8 middle school, and return 5th-graders to elementary schools).