- Curriculum and Instruction home
- Program of Studies
- Libraries and Instructional Media
- Special Education and Student Services
- ESL (English as a Second Language)
- Gifted (Quest) Program
- Virtual Education
- Alternative Learning Centers
- Adult Learning Center
Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- Career and Technical Education classes offered at Buford and CHS (see below)
- Courses for high schoolers and adults at Charlottesville-Albemarle Technical Education Center (CATEC).
- For life skills and transition-planning services for students with special needs, click here.
Career and Technical Education at Buford and CHS
The Career and Technical Education (CTE) department provides sequences of career-related courses designed to help students develop skills needed for entry-level employment, advanced technical training programs, and continuing education on the college and university level. Elective courses help students develop twenty-first century job skills, such as proficiency in computer technology, information acquisition and processing, problem solving, teamwork, and effective communication skills.
Career and Technical Education courses are designed to enhance and support the academic curriculum – reinforcing the Standards of Learning established for English, mathematics, science, history and social science.
About the Program: Credentials and Pathways
Offerings are widespread, including:
- commercial photography
- computer science
- culinary arts
- economics and personal finance (required for all students and part of the CHS/CFA Institute Finance Academy)
- marketing/entrepreneurship from finance to urban farming
- see full list in “Career and Technical Education” in Program of Studies.
Many of the CTE classes are designed to work in sequence to lead to additional coursework in college or to achieve an industry-recognized credential. For instance, the engineering and computer science classes in CTE can prepare students to continue their studies in CHS’s five-year Sigma engineering program or to enroll at CATEC to earn valuable industry certifications such as CISCO CCENT or CompTIA A+.
Course Offerings in Grades 7-12:
- See “Career and Technical Education” in Program of Studies.
Stephanie Carter, 434-245-2836