CCS is hosting the 2nd Annual Day of Play event for students, staff and their families the weekend of April 22-24. There will be a wide variety of recorded and live sessions to encourage fun, fitness and play, including offerings like dance classes, arts and crafts, sport skill sessions, cooking, mindfulness and more.
Stay up to date
Use Canvas to access the Day of Play Canvas Course. All students and staff are enrolled!
Raffle Prizes: Participate & take a photo!
Students, staff and families that participate in any of the live or recorded sessions over the weekend and submit a photo can enter to win raffle prizes sponsored by the Public Education Fund of Charlottesville-Albemarle (PEFCA). $1,500 worth of gift cards are available! Additional items are being donated by Ystreet (sunglasses, frisbees, chapstick). Participants can enter one picture for every session they attend to increase their chances of winning. The Google form to enter the raffle will be available at 4pm on Friday in the CCS Day to Play Canvas Course.
Join one of our live events
Friday, April 22
- 5:15-6:15pm: KBland Performance demo workout, Friendship Court, 418 Garrett St.,
- All ages and skills welcome. Water provided. Click here to see flyer.
- 6pm: Ystreet (Youth Led Organization that Promotes Healthy Choices) Share the Air Event/Booth at IX Park Earth Day
- Games, prize wheel, water and snacks.
Saturday, April 23
- 8am-12pm: Slacklines, Walker School
- Adam Minton and Rachel Waleski will have multiple slacklines set up for people to come and work on their slackline skills. Adam is a veteran slackliner and loves helping others find enjoyment in it as well! Slacklining refers to the act of walking, running or balancing along a suspended length of flat webbing that is tensioned between two anchors. Slacklining is similar to slack rope walking and tightrope walking.
- 10am Barre Class, Walker School on the blacktop
- Barre is a full body, low impact workout with elements of ballet, pilates and yoga. It is a workout with a strong focus on strengthening the core, pelvic floor and glutes – think all of those stabilizer muscles we forget about! The class is all done to fun, upbeat music and is made for all fitness and ability levels.
- Bring a mat and comfortable clothing to move around in. Shoes are not needed, socks are optional.
- 10am-5pm HER SPORTS DAY at Buford Middle School
- A full day of fundamental sport clinics along with workshops focused on mind, body and soul. This is a free event for girls and registration is recommended. This day will be filled with sports, food, vendors, workshops, bounce houses, and MUSIC by DJ Swirlout. Click here to register.
- 11am: Let’s Play Outside, Clark Elementary School.
- Come play at Clark Elementary School. Join cool CCS PE teachers Mr. P, Mr. Shipp, and Ms. Martin for some fun activities and games! Slack line, bocce ball, cornhole are just some of the things waiting for you to play! Wear your comfy clothes and sneakers! We are EXCITED to see you!
- In-person free blood pressure and A1C testing-Jefferson School City Center
Online events & resources
Access via the Day to Play Canvas Course
- ADAPT Training: Athletic Development And Performance Training at Home.
- Basketball Skills: Want to improve your basketball skills or join a team? CHS Basketball Coach Mr. Minor and one of his players will be demonstrating the proper shooting technique.
- Behavior Change for Health: Via Zoom, Sunday, April 24, 1pm
- Behavior change for your health is your guide to successfully implementing healthy habits into your life. Learn how to create healthy habits and build on the success you see in order to sustain a healthy lifestyle that works for YOU!
- Boys & Girls Club: Please join us for a variety of family friendly and active
- Brain Health: Please join this recorded session to learn more about the
brain and how exercise impacts brain health.
- City Schoolyard Garden: Visit each of the city schoolyard gardens…virtually!
- Clay Faces: Working with your hands can be a lot of fun. Join Aaron Eichorst as he demonstrates how to create expressive faces out of clay. Aaron will be using non drying modeling clay, a pencil, and a popsicle stick. If you don’t have modeling clay, try playdough, or air hardening clay.
- Cooking with Kathleen: Learn how to make some of your favorite foods with a healthy
- Cville Walks with Heart (Walking Maps): Looking to get out and about? Take advantage of this free community walking program that takes you around Charlottesville to walk through various neighborhoods, explore parks, and to spend time outdoors.
- Dance! K-4 PE Teachers: DANCE, DANCE, DANCE! Get your boogie shoes on and your body moving through dance! Join us to learn some FUN dances rated for all ages. You don’t need to be a great dancer, you just need to love to move!
- Diabetes Awareness: This series of videos provides awareness for diabetes prevention. Includes videos for elementary, middle and high school students on Healthy Living in partnership with Registered Dieticians, Yoga instructors. Videos included are: Yoga, Healthy Eating and Diabetes Awareness.
- Fitness Challenges-Buford PE: This is a 15 minute recorded workout and a cool-down with the PE teachers at Buford. We ask that you use an item under 5 pounds during the workout.
- Football Skills and Drills: Coach Cherebin and some of the CHS football players will be
sharing tips and drills for football success! Please join us in this recorded asynchronous session!!!!!
- High Energy Workout: “Hello everyone! Join Mr. Alexander of Charlottesville High School for a 30-minute, high energy workout that can be done from the comfort of your own home! Equipment is not needed for this session; just be ready to break a sweat and have some fun! Enjoy!”
- HIIT Home Workout-CHS PE: (No equipment needed): Participants will view a 3 round HIIT workout that targets the major muscle groups of the body to exhaustion. Instructors will show modifications to exercises to make workout applicable to all levels of fitness. Participants will only need a clear working space to participate, a hydrating drink source is recommended to have nearby.
- Region 10- Stress Relievers: Short videos teaching emotion regulation skills such as body scans, grounding techniques and deep breathing.
- Row your Boat! If rowing in a canoe and reciting Shakespeare sounds like a calming activity for you, please check out this session with CHS Theater Teacher David Becker!
- Introduction to Skateboarding: Mr. Shipp, PE Teacher at Jackson-Via and his daughter Annabel will go through some basics of learning how to skateboard.
No equipment necessary to watch! Proper safety gear and a skateboard needed to try after viewing! Enjoy.
- Tobacco Free Community Coalition: Pre-recorded session on electronic nicotine devices, what they are, what they look like and how they can impact youth negatively
- Wildrock: Children will be encouraged to play in nature in city public parks. There will be three different recordings for children and their families to view!
- YMCA ‘Family Fun Fitness’: Need: Dress comfortably to move, a mat or towel, water bottle and a clear area of about 6 feet to move safely. This is a basic fitness 20 minute workout for all ages, no fancy equipment or special skills just bring a smile! Instructor: Jeri Evans, Associate Wellness Director from the Brooks Family YMCA
- Yoga and Mindfulness: New Hope for the Current New Normal: Practical Strategies
for dealing with stress, burnout, and anxiety during complex times. Ashley Bullock, M.Ed (UVA EDD SEL, in progress), Kelly Walter, M.Ed, Physical Education Teacher Johnson
- Student presentation on Rev Your Bev, a campaign to encourage Virginians to drink more water. The students will also share a fun activity on how attendees can make fruit infused water from home to give their water a fresh new taste and make it more appealing as a beverage choice.
- Student presentation on Share the Air, a campaign dedicated to promoting healthier public spaces and parklands for all Virginians by encouraging localities and parks and recreation departments to promote tobacco-free and e-cigarette-free parklands.
- Zumba: Zumba is exercise in disguise! Join Señora Thalwitz for a 30-minute Zumba dance workout. Bring a water bottle, wear comfortable shoes and have some room to move!
Questions? Contact Jessica Brantley, Instructional Coordinator for Health and Physical Education, email@example.com