- A live stream of the evening’s presentations can be found here.
- Want to share your voice? Visit www.publicinput.com/3575 to give your feedback. It also provides a summary of all of the ideas presented.
Agenda for the Second Forum
Our objective for the second forum was to reflect back what we’ve been hearing from the community so far. Our staff and School Board have been seeking community input through events, online tools, emails, and face-to-face conversations. We asked forum participants to respond to a list of 32 main ideas and vote on their “top 10.”
After community members had a chance to review and respond, our moderator, City of Charlottesville Office of Human Rights Manager Charlene Green, presented the results and facilitated a time of questions and comments. The evening continued with remarks about next steps moving forward from Charlottesville City Schools Coordinator of Community Affairs and Development Beth Cheuk, Superintendent Dr. Rosa Atkins, and School Board Chair Juandiego Wade. Finally, the forum concluded with commentary from each member of the school board.
Results from Equity Forum Statement Stations
Participants were asked to visit 4 statement stations and vote on their top 10 main ideas using stickers. A fifth station was available to add missing or new ideas.
Results from Second Forum – “Top 10” picks from Statement Stations
- Hire and support teachers of color
- Re-examine the Quest (gifted) program
- Focus on systemic barriers
- Continue or expand preschool
- Equip teachers to meet the needs of all students
- Promote student diversity within classrooms
- Support/retain effective teachers and principals
- Keep diversifying libraries/curriculum/activities
- Ensure budget prioritizes equity
- Explore outside factors that impact schools
From our School Board and Superintendent (see longer message here):
In addition to listening, we are also acting. We are seeking volunteers and nominations for a committee on equity representing a broad coalition of school and community stakeholders. We are doing internal reviews of our data, programs, and efforts. We are mapping resources of sister school divisions and model equity programs so that we can learn from others. The School Board is drafting an equity policy that will guide our practices and lay a foundation for parity.
In short, we continue to listen. We are taking first steps to review and revise our past efforts and plan future action. We are guided by our confidence that your values are our values and that together, we want to seize this moment to make a difference for our community.
Updates from the First Forum
- Find basic data from the pre-survey (about your and your students’ experiences at Charlottesville City Schools)
- Review comments from the first Community Forum or contribute new ones. You can also find information concerning the main topics discussed.
- Overview of equity initiatives at Charlottesville City Schools
- Resources relating to the New York Times/ProPublica reporting
Related media coverage
- Mandell, Josh. “City Schools Home in on Equity Goals at Second Forum • Charlottesville Tomorrow.” Charlottesville Tomorrow, 28 Nov. 2018, www.cvilletomorrow.org/articles/city-schools-home-in-on-equity-goals-at-second-forum/.
- Montilla, Desiree. “City School Leaders Host Second Equity Forum.” Charlottesville, Virginia News, Weather, Sports | Newsplex, www.cbs19news.com/content/news/City-school-leaders-host-second-equity-forum-501408701.html.
- Knott, Katherine. “Residents Weigh in on Equity Issues in City Schools.” The Daily Progress, The Daily Progress, 28 Nov. 2018, www.dailyprogress.com/news/education/residents-weigh-in-on-equity-issues-in-city-schools/article_c2f56c9e-f2b9-11e8-8adf-df3b784e1f91.html.
- Mandell, Josh. “Charlottesville City Schools Hosts Community Forum on Equity • Charlottesville Tomorrow.” Charlottesville Tomorrow, 24 Oct. 2018, www.cvilletomorrow.org/articles/charlottesville-city-schools-hosts-community-forum/.
- Schroeder, Annie. “Charlottesville City Schools Holds Forum to Discuss Racial Achievement Gap.” Home – WVIR NBC29 Charlottesville News, Sports, and Weather, 23 Oct. 2018, www.nbc29.com/story/39346637/charlottesville-city-schools-holds-forum-to-discuss-racial-achievement-gap.
Coordinator of Community Affairs and Development
firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-245-2962.