Learn your schedule, complete back-to-school forms, and more!
Starting August 14, you can log in or create your account to see teacher assignments or schedules, complete your back-to-school paperwork online, and more. Bus schedule information will be posted in PowerSchool beginning around August 19.
A personalized letter giving you information about your PowerSchool account (and other updates) was mailed the week of 7/31. If the letter does not contain codes, you already have an account and can log back in. See letter for more information. If you did not receive a letter and you need codes for one or more student, call your school. If you have further trouble setting up your account, you can call 245-2943.
- Link to PowerSchool
- Sample letter in English (the letter with your family’s access codes is being mailed to your home)
- Ejemplo de carta en español (la carta con los códigos de acceso de su familia ha sido enviada por correo a su casa)
- Need to translate these instructions into another language? Click “translate” in the upper right corner and translate this page (and the letter, below) into the language of your choice.
Dear families –
The school year is almost here! The first day of school is Wednesday, August 23, and open houses will be Monday, August 21. Here are some tips to help you get your family off to a good start.
On August 14, the online program PowerSchool will re-open so that you can learn your child’s teacher assignment or schedule, review your pre-completed back-to-school forms, customize how you hear from us, and more.
PowerSchool is an online tool to help schools, students, and families stay connected throughout the year. You can check grades and attendance and more (see below). Make sure all of your students are added to your parent account.
Returning PowerSchool Users: Log back in (on or after August 14), using your parent account (not your child’s). If you don’t remember your username or password, visit the log-in page for help. A link to PowerSchool is on the parent menu at the bottom of every page at charlottesvilleschools.org. To add a child, log in and click “Account Preferences,” then “Students,” then “Add.” Enter the student’s “access info” from the back of this letter.
New PowerSchool Users: See the back of this sheet for instructions & personalized access codes.
The earliest way to learn your student’s schedule and teacher assignment is to check PowerSchool when it reopens on August 14. We will mail letters later that week.
Back-to-School Paperwork Online
To quickly complete your back-to-school forms, log into PowerSchool and click on “InfoSnap Student Enrollment.” You’ll find a complete set of forms for your student, with most of the answers pre-completed for you. Simply edit previous info and answer the remaining questions. After you finish your first child, the program can “snap” updates into your remaining children’s forms. We recommend using a computer (not a phone) – you can visit a library, use your child’s school chromebook, or take advantage of school computers at open house. The online forms include everything except the application for free/reduced lunch.
For kindergartners and students who are new to Charlottesville City Schools, these forms are not required unless you need to update the information.
Look for a paper application in the mail. Medicaid-qualifying families and students at Clark, Jackson-Via, and Johnson do not need to complete this form since they automatically qualify for free meals.
Meal Account Balance Checks
This year, we have switched from “My School Bucks” to “My Payments Plus.” You can set up low-balance reminders with My Payments Plus, and for a service fee of about 4 percent, you can pay online. We plan to connect this service with PowerSchool, as well. For more information, see charlottesvilleschools.org/nutrition.
- To find the student ID number to create My Payments Plus account, log into PowerSchool and click on the Grades and Attendance tab.
Choose whether to receive calls, emails, or texts from the schools. Log into PowerSchool and click on Contact Manager at the left. Then click “Contacts” in a new screen. For your (first) child, click “Edit.” For each number or email you have, check the messages you would like to receive. Then click “Save.”
Bus routes will be mailed home with back-to-school information from your school.
Facebook, Twitter, and You Tube
For updates, follow us at @CvilleSchools! Many schools have accounts, as well.
Instructions for New PowerSchool Parent Portal Accounts
This letter will help you create a PowerSchool Parent Portal account so that you can get your teacher assignments, complete back-to-school forms, and view grades/attendance. You will need a letter for each of your children. (If you’re missing a letter, perhaps you already opened an account.) For assistance or an additional child’s codes, call 245-2943. Access IDs and passwords are unique for each student. You should keep this letter in a safe place.
Instructions to Open a New Account (see the letters mailed to your home for your personalized information)
- Open an internet browser on your computer and direct your browser to https://sis.charlottesvilleschools.org/publicYou may also find a link on the “Parents” menu at the bottom of every page of the Charlottesville City Schools web site at http://www.charlottesvilleschools.org
- Click the Create Account buttonA new screen will open. Parent’s information goes in the top section. You must give an email address.
The parent or guardian chooses a username and password. Passwords must be at least 6 characters.
- Children’s access information goes in the lower section.Use the Access ID and password from the letter or letters you received in the mail. Passwords are case sensitive and MUST be entered exactly as they appear above. If you have more than one child, you will receive more than one letter and should enter all children here.Remember to click Enter when you have finished entering all children.
- Once you have completed the above, you will see this screen. You can
now use your new username/password to log in at: https://sis.charlottes-
villeschools.org/public (Or find a link at the bottom of our web site.)
To Add a Student to an Existing Parent Account:To add a child, log in and click “Account Preferences,” then “Students,”
then “Add.” Enter the student access data from the letter you received in the mail.