School Messenger is a notification system that delivers voice (“robocalls”), e-mail, and text messages. It allows families to customize how they receive school messages.
School Messenger is used for:
- announcements and updates
- attendance messages
- closing updates. This includes early-morning calls to ALL FAMILIES unless you customize your settings (see below)
- low-balance notifications when meal balances fall below -$10.
- emergency announcements.
The system relies on accurate telephone numbers and email addresses.To check your contact information or customize your preferences, see below.
Instructions to Customize Your Message Settings
Follow these instructions to change contact information and preferences for alerts from Charlottesville City Schools.
1. Login to PowerSchool. Usernames and passwords are sent home by mail and/or in your child’s backpack. If you don’t have login information, please call 434-245-2943 to have it sent to you. (For login assistance in Spanish, call 434-245-2548.)
2. Click on “Contact Manager” in the lower left corner.
3. One-time only: confirm your name, email address, and phone number (and permission to contact you).
4. In the top-right corner, hover over your name and select “Preferences.”
5. This screen shows the various types of messages and your numbers/emails. You can edit or add new telephones or email addresses. For each type of message, you can check/uncheck phone/email/text. Then click “SAVE” at bottom of screen. Note: if you do not see an option for text messaging, edit or add the correct phone number and select “send text” for at least one type of message.
6. A few more things:
- You can add other numbers or addresses – for yourself, for babysitters, or others.
- At least one contact method must be selected for the two emergency categories.
- If the system contains incorrect numbers or email addresses, please call your school.
- Once you are satisfied with your selections, click “save” (at bottom of screen).
- Prefer an app? School Messenger offers one.
- If you don’t see the Contact Manager option when you log in to Power School, perhaps you are logging in to your student’s account. To get your parent log-in information, call 245-2943.
- If you get an error message when you click on the Contact Manager, perhaps your user login contains a space or another special character. Within Power School, you can change this under “Account Preferences.”
- If you need additional assistance, email email@example.com.