Like many communities, universities, and K-12 schools across the country, Charlottesville City Schools is aware that our schools’ names send a message to our students, staff, and community and should therefore reflect our values.
School Names Committee
Beginning in the fall of 2020, the superintendent convened a committee to review our schools’ names. Updates from the committee will be posted to this page.
Resources for the Committee
Community member Phil Varner has compiled historical resources and information on our schools’ namesakes and the original process for naming our schools. You can find a brief introduction to the namesakes and a 56-page research compilation.
If you have additional materials that you believe are relevant and helpful, please email email@example.com so that this process can be as informed and complete as possible.
Notes from Committee Meetings (listed oldest to most recent)
- Notes from first committee meeting (October 15, 2020)
- Notes from the second committee meeting (November 12, 2020)
- Presentation to School Board on Process (April 1, 2021)
- Notes and information from the Community Forum on Clark/Venable (May 3, 2021)
- Notes from the third committee meeting (March 21, 2022)
City schools to review names of Clark, Venable elementaries first (Daily Progress, April 29, 2021)