The Walker Upper Elementary School school counselors are busy planning their annual visits to all city elementary schools to provide information and guidance to rising fifth graders. For a full calendar of related-events, see important dates below.
“We want to make the transition to a new school as seamless as possible for our current city fourth graders,” said Walker School Counselor John Kronstain. “By visiting these students in the coming weeks, we hope to make connections and put them at ease by providing useful information and answering questions they may have.”
After visiting each of the six elementary schools, Walker Upper Elementary School will invite all city fourth graders to visit the upper elementary school in the spring for Rising Fifth Grade Visit and Tour Day. This will be followed by a Rising Fifth Grade Parent Night that will include dinner, tours, and an information session for families to ask questions.
The school counselors will introduce the rising fifth graders to a variety of information including choosing electives for the 2020-21 school year. Fifth and sixth grade students at Walker can choose two electives. The first selection must be a fine arts option–band, orchestra, music and chorus, or visual arts–and the second choice can be Spanish, Pre-Engineering, or an additional fine arts option (students may not choose both band and orchestra in the same year).
For more details on elective options, view this video:
Upcoming Important Dates
- January 28 Buford Curriculum Expo (for rising 7th- and 8th-graders), 5pm
- January 31 School counselor visits at Jackson-Via and Greenbrier
- February 4 School counselor visits at Burnley-Moran and Clark
- February 5 School counselor visits at Johnson and Venable
- February 10-17 Elective forms sent home with students–please discuss and make selections with your student
- February 28 Completed elective forms due back to school
- March 31 and April 2: Instrument Selection Nights, 5-7pm
- April 14 Rising Fifth Grade Visit and Tour Day at Walker Upper Elementary (students will be brought to Walker during the school day via school buses)
- April 14 Rising Fifth Grade Parent Night at Walker, 5:30-7:30pm (parents and their rising fifth grade student are invited to join us for dinner and information session)