Charlottesville City Schools recognizes the strong link between a child’s social, emotional, and physical health and their ability to learn. Schools also play an important role in teaching children about wellness.
In 2016, our school division won a U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools District Sustainability Award in recognition of our policies in place to promote healthy choices for our students and staff.
Our 2017-23 Strategic Plan places a strong emphasis on “Safe and Supportive Schools,” with specific goals for social, emotional, and physical wellness.
The School Health Advisory Board—made up of health professionals, community agencies, parents, educators and students—advises the School Board in the development and evaluation of policies and programs that support the health and well-being of students, families, and school staff.
- Charlottesville City Schools Wellness Policy (Policy JHCF)
- CCS Wellness Policy Brochure (2017) — distributed to all families
- School Health Advisory Board
- Physical Fitness Programs at Charlottesville City Schools
- School Nutrition at Charlottesville City Schools
- School Nurses and Student Health
- Information about student insurance for qualifying families (FAMIS)
- School Counselors, Social Workers and Psychologists including Bullying Prevention and Peer Mediation
- School-wide Positive Supports (Virginia Tiered Systems of Support and Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports)
- School Community-Building Programs
- Green Initiatives at Charlottesville City Schools
- Employee Wellness Benefits
- Safety Programs and Planning