Social, emotional, and physical wellness are foundational to life and learning
Charlottesville City Schools recognizes the strong link between a child’s social, emotional, and physical health and their ability to learn. Schools also play an important role in teaching children about wellness.
In 2016, our school division won a U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools District Sustainability Award in recognition of our policies in place to promote healthy choices for our students and staff. We have also won national recognition for our attention to mental wellness through social and emotional learning programs and our systems of positive supports.
Our 2017-23 Strategic Plan places a strong emphasis on “Safe and Supportive Schools,” with specific goals for social, emotional, and physical wellness.
The School Health Advisory Board—made up of health professionals, community agencies, parents, educators and students—advises the School Board in the development and evaluation of our state-recognized Wellness Policy and programs that support the health and well-being of students, families, and school staff.
- Charlottesville City Schools Wellness Policy (Policy JHCF)
- CCS Wellness Policy Brochure (2017) — distributed to all families
- Physical Fitness Programs at Charlottesville City Schools
- Social-Emotional Learning
- Counselors, Social Workers and Psychologists including Bullying Prevention and Peer Mediation
- Employee Wellness Benefits and Overview of Programs
- Green Initiatives at Charlottesville City Schools
- Safety Programs and Planning
- School Community-Building Programs
- School Health Advisory Board
- School Nurses and Student Health
- Information about student insurance for qualifying families (FAMIS)
- School Nutrition at Charlottesville City Schools
- School-wide Positive Supports (Virginia Tiered Systems of Support and Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports)
Sample Partners and Related Programs: