Making sure that our facilities meet the needs of students and staff
Charlottesville City Schools is growing! Since our enrollment has been increasing about 3 percent annually, we need to consider the future of our school facilities. Together, let’s consider how we can best meet our students’ needs, particularly for our classes serving preschool through grade 8. Our school division’s growth also presents an opportunity to modernize our schools for 21st-century learning.
Community Conversation: January 23, 2018 – 5 p.m. Mt. Zion First African Baptist Church, 105 Lankford Ave., Charlottesville
Community Conversation: January 31, 2018 – 6 p.m., Charlottesville High School media center
- January PTO Meetings (possible agenda item)
- 1/8 Venable 6 p.m.
- 1/10 Buford and Walker joint PTO meeting (at Buford) 6 p.m.
- 1/16 Burnley-Moran 6 p.m.
- 1/18 Johnson 6 p.m.
- 1/23 Greenbrier 7 p.m.
Planning Commission outreach, January 9, 2018 – 7 p.m., Charlottesville City Hall
PHAR outreach meeting (planning underway)
School Board discussion/public comment – February 1, 2018, 5:00 p.m., CHS
- School Board meetings are live streamed at ustream.com (search for Charlottesville City Schools). Watch regularly scheduled meetings on the first Thursday of every month at 5 p.m.
- Meetings are also recorded and later televised on Public Access Channel 14 on Thursday & Friday at 7 p.m. and Saturday & Sunday at 12 and 7 p.m. of the same week as the meeting.
Charlottesville City Schools contracted VMDO Architects to study capacity and growth in the division. VMDO’s findings, along with the UVA Weldon Cooper Center’s study on enrollment trends in Charlottesville, were presented at two community meetings in November.
Click here to jump to a topic:
FAQs on Growth and Capacity Solutions for Charlottesville City Schools
Frequently Asked Questions coming soon. Please help us compile this list by providing your own questions/feedback using the Community Survey.
The next Community Meetings will be January 23 at 6 p.m. at Mt. Zion First African Baptist Church and January 31 at 6 p.m. at CHS Media Center followed by a series of school PTO meetings and other community outreach meetings where we will provide information and gather feedback from community members. Additionally, there will be discussion and an opportunity for public comment at the regularly scheduled School Board meeting on February 2 at 5:30pm in the Charlottesville High School library.
Stay in Touch
Stay informed and share your thoughts! We will continue to post future
updates on this web page. Look for a more robust community survey coming in January.
1) Consensus about moving forward with expansion plans?
2) One new elementary, or three expanded elementaries? Centralized preschool?
3) Other questions as they emerge from community feedback.
- Charlottesville Tomorrow, “Charlottesville seeking solutions to school capacity challenges” (June 30, 2017)
- Charlottesville City Schools Capacity Study Volume 1: Assessment, June 14, 2017
- Charlottesville Family’s Bloom Magazine, “Growing enrollment presents opportunities for the future.” (July 25, 2017)
- Dr. Atkins, Update to Families (October 19, 2017)
- WINA, School Board Work Session Summary (focuses on grades K-5) (October 20, 2017)
- American School & University Magazine, “Prepare for Growth” (October 2017; sign-up required to see article). Article projects 5 percent growth in PK-12 enrollment in the South over the years 2017-2025.
- Charlottesville Tomorrow, “Charlottesville City Schools shares growth options with public” (November 13, 2017)
- NBC 29, “Charlottesville City Schools request community’s input to address overcapacity” (November 28, 2017)
- CBS 19, “Charlottesville City Schools look to tackle capacity issues” (November 28, 2017)