Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC)
Does your child receive special education services?
- Join the mailing list to receive updates and news about events serving our special education community. Print and complete this form (click here), or email email@example.com.
What does the Special Education Advisory Committee do?
- Give advice about unmet needs in special education
- Help develop plans for improving performance of students with disabilities
- Take part in developing ways to meet needs of students with disabilities
- Access and review needs/plans for special education, submit reports and recommendations to the Superintendent and School Board
- Assist the school system in interpreting plans to the community for meeting the special needs of children with disabilities for educational services.
The SEAC meets during the school year to discuss current “hot topics” of Charlottesville’s Special Education services.
Who serves on the SEAC?
- Parents/guardians/family members of students with disabilities
- People with disabilities
- Related community service providers
- Other interested community members
Parent Partners Program—This program offers support and information from trained parents who help other parents. If you have questions about special education, going through the eligibility process, writing/changing an IEP, or if your child is having a difficult time, please contact Daphne Ingene and Tina Drumheller at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about Parent Partners.
How can you be involved?
Do you have one hour a month to meet with other parents and help students with disabilities? The Charlottesville City Schools Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) welcomes new parents and other interested community members to join our group.
New Special Education Website for Parents
The Charlottesville City Schools in collaboration with the Virginia Department of Education and the Helen A. Keller Institute for Human disAbilities at George Mason University, is pleased to announce the launch of a new Web site dedicated to providing comprehensive information on special education issues, practices and services to families who have children with disabilities in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The new Web site is “Virginia Family Special Education Connection.”
How can we help you?
Joining the SEAC gives you great opportunities to learn about how school services work and how to best meet your child’s needs. You will also get the great boost of knowing that you have made a difference in the lives of hundreds of children with disabilities! You will get access to resources such as the CRAAG Resource Directory.
2017-2018 SEAC Meeting Schedule
Meetings are at 8:45 a.m., and the dates are 9/19, 11/14. 2/13, 4/10. They will be held at the Division Administrative Annex on the bottom level of CHS. Please contact the Special Education office 434-245-2405 for directions if needed.
All SEAC meetings are open to the public. We want to hear from you! Please come to a SEAC meeting, or for more information about joining the SEAC or any of its programs, please contact Dr. Pat Crane, Supervisor of Special Education and Student Services at 245-2669.
Don’t hesitate, get involved!
CLICK HERE for SEAC meeting agendas and minutes!
To Learn More
Dr. Kendra King
Director of Student Services and Achievement
1562 Dairy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903