- Family Resources
- Health Services
- Psychological Services
- Social Work Services
- Speech/Language Services
- Special Education
Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC)
Does your child receive special education services?
- Join the mailing list to receive updates and news about events serving our special education community. Print and complete this form (click here), or email email@example.com.
What does the Special Education Advisory Committee do?
- Give advice about unmet needs in special education
- Help develop plans for improving performance of students with disabilities
- Take part in developing ways to meet needs of students with disabilities
- Access and review needs/plans for special education, submit reports and recommendations to the Superintendent and School Board
- Assist the school system in interpreting plans to the community for meeting the special needs of children with disabilities for educational services.
The SEAC meets during the school year to discuss current “hot topics” of Charlottesville’s Special Education services.
Who serves on the SEAC?
- Parents/guardians/family members of students with disabilities
- People with disabilities
- Related community service providers
- Other interested community members
Parent Partners Program—This program offers support and information from trained parents who help other parents. If you have questions about special education, going through the eligibility process, writing/changing an IEP, or if your child is having a difficult time, please contact Irene Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about Parent Partners.
For a list of current resources available to support families of students with disabilities, please use this link: SEAC Family Resources.
How can you be involved?
Do you have one hour a month to meet with other parents and help students with disabilities? The Charlottesville City Schools Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) welcomes new parents and other interested community members to join our group.
How can we help you?
Joining the SEAC gives you great opportunities to learn about how school services work and how to best meet your child’s needs. You will also get the great boost of knowing that you have made a difference in the lives of hundreds of children with disabilities! You can also become more connected with resources that might benefit your family and others.
2020-2021 SEAC Meeting Schedule
Meetings are at 5:00pm-6:30pm on Sept. 29, Nov. 18, Feb. 24, and April 21. The meetings will be virtual and the virtual link will be provided in the meeting reminders. Please contact the Special Education office at 434-245-2405 with questions.
All SEAC meetings are open to the public. We want to hear from you! Please come to a SEAC meeting, or for more information about joining the SEAC or any of its programs, please contact Katrina Lee, Supervisor of Special Education and Student Services at 245-2669.
Don’t hesitate, get involved!
CLICK HERE for SEAC meeting agendas and minutes!
To Learn More
Supervisor of Special Education
1562 Dairy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903