Looking for Registration and Open House Info?
Kindergarten in Charlottesville: An Overview
Students entering Charlottesville City Schools for the first time must register at the school the child will attend. In order to enroll, potential kindergarteners must be 5 years old by September 30.
An open house for kindergarten registration occurs in mid-to-late April. (In 2020, this event has been postponed and will be rescheduled.) After that time, contact your neighborhood elementary school. (Which school will your child attend? Find out here.) While supplies last, a free kindergarten readiness box is given to each family at registration.
More Kindergarten Information
Students enrolling in the Charlottesville City Schools for the first time must provide:
- Original birth certificate (or certified copy)
- Proof of residency
- Mortgage, lease, real estate tax statement OR
- Driver’s license or government-issued photo ID plus current utility bill (electric, gas, water/sewer)
- A completed “school health entrance form” showing that the child has received a physical examination performed by a physician within a year of enrollment. (Required for all K students, even if they have been enrolled in the preschool program.)
- A completed immunization record (part of the “school health entrance form”)
- Custody or guardianship paperwork (if necessary)
School divisions are required to accept students who meet residency requirements under § 22.1-3 of the Code of Virginia and may not deny a free public education to undocumented school-age children who reside within their jurisdiction because they do not hold valid United States citizenship or a student visa. Questions should be addressed to the Director of Special Education and Student Services at 245-2405.
When space is available, Charlottesville City Schools permits out-of-division families to apply for enrollment and to pay tuition for students in grades K-12.