Looking for Registration Info?
Kindergarten in Charlottesville: An Overview
Students entering Charlottesville City Schools for the first time must register at the school the child will attend. In order to enroll, potential kindergarteners must be 5 years old by September 30.
An open house for kindergarten registration occurs in mid-to-late April. (In 2021, this event has been cancelled.) After that time, contact your neighborhood elementary school. (Which school will your child attend? Find out here.) While supplies last, a free kindergarten readiness box is given to each family at registration.
More Kindergarten Information
Students enrolling in the Charlottesville City Schools for the first time must provide:
- Original birth certificate (or certified copy)
- Proof of residency
- Mortgage, lease, real estate tax statement OR
- Driver’s license or government-issued photo ID plus current utility bill (electric, gas, water/sewer)
- A completed “school health entrance form” showing that the child has received a physical examination performed by a physician within a year of enrollment. (Required for all K students, even if they have been enrolled in the preschool program.)
- A completed immunization record (part of the “school health entrance form”)
- Custody or guardianship paperwork (if necessary)
School divisions are required to accept students who meet residency requirements under § 22.1-3 of the Code of Virginia and may not deny a free public education to undocumented school-age children who reside within their jurisdiction because they do not hold valid United States citizenship or a student visa. Questions should be addressed to the Director of Special Education and Student Services at 245-2405.
When space is available, Charlottesville City Schools permits out-of-division families to apply for enrollment and to pay tuition for students in grades K-12.