Charlottesville School Board
The Charlottesville City School Board is made up of seven members elected to at-large seats on November ballets. School board members serve four-year staggered terms that begin the following January. The chairperson and vice-chairperson are elected by the entire board annually.
Duties of the School Board include:
- Setting policy for the school division
- Hiring and evaluating the superintendent
- Approving a budget to meet the financial needs of the school division
- Approving the annual school calendar and school operating times
- Determining school boundaries
Ways for the community to participate:
- Attend or speak at CCS Board meetings (held the first Thursday each month, 5 p.m. at the CHS Media Center). Each meeting has a public comment period at the beginning and end. Speakers are asked to limit comments to three minutes.
- Listen from home! Meetings are livestreamed on our Facebook Page. Or find videos on our YouTube channel.
- Stay informed! To receive Board announcements and meetings via Mail Chimp, register here.
- Write! Residents may also send the School Board an email message (SchoolBoard@charlottesvilleschools.org) or a letter to: Charlottesville City School Board, 1562 Dairy Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903. Please be aware that for records retention purposes, emails sent to this address will also be sent to the Clerk to the Board.