New Student Registration
Registering a New Student?
- If you are a resident of the City of Charlottesville, please call the school your child will attend. Click here for school addresses and phone numbers.
- Complete a registration packet: click here for online forms
- Call your school to arrange a time to bring in the required documents.
Which Elementary School Will My Child Attend?
Other Registration Info
Non-resident students are welcome at Charlottesville City Schools when space is available. In fact, almost 300 students attend our schools by choice.
Steps for Applying to Charlottesville City Schools
- Learn about the schools! You can call your school of interest to set up a visit.
- Complete an application and submit it to the school office. We begin accepting applications on May 1 (note new date) and strongly encourage parents to apply by June 1.
- Parents are notified of the status of their child’s application within approximately 3 weeks (except for kindergarten, which takes longer). A waiting list may be established.
- Tuition must be paid in full by August 1.
2017-2018 Tuition Rates
- Grades K-8:
- $1,337 for the first child in a family
- $1,094 for each additional child from the same family
- Grades 9-12:
- $1,701 for the first child in a family
- $1,458 for each additional child from the same family
Forms and Reference Items for 2017-18
Students enrolling in the Charlottesville City Schools for the first time must provide:
- Original birth certificate (or certified copy)
- Proof of residency
- Mortgage, lease, real estate tax statement OR
- Driver’s license/government-issued photo ID plus current utility bill (electric, gas, water/sewer)
- A completed Virginia School Entrance Health Form showing that the child has received a physical examination performed by a physician within a year of enrollment. (Required for new students in preschool-grade 5; required for all kindergartners, even if they were enrolled in the preschool program.)
- A completed immunization record (for all grades; part of the School Entrance Health Form)
- Custody or guardianship paperwork (if necessary)
- Don’t have everything? Bring what you have to the school, and they will help you.