New Students (who didn’t attend Charlottesville Schools last year)
New Student Registration
Registering a New Student?
- Complete a NEW STUDENT registration packet:
- For kindergartners, all preschoolers, and other students beginning in August 2018, click here.
- For students starting school in the 2017-2018 year, call your school to set up and appointment and request links to the online registration forms.
- Call your school to arrange a time to bring in the required documents.
- Need to do back-to-school paperwork for a returning student? Forms will be posted to PowerSchool in August. If you need to make mid-year updates for your student, talk to the school secretary.
Which Elementary School Will My Child Attend?
Other Registration Info
Non-resident students are welcome at Charlottesville City Schools when space is available. In fact, almost 300 students attend our schools by choice.
Steps for Applying to Charlottesville City Schools
- Learn about the schools! You can call your school of interest to set up a visit.
- Complete an application and submit it to the school office. We begin accepting applications on May 1 (note new date) and strongly encourage parents to apply by June 1.
- Parents are notified of the status of their child’s application within approximately 3 weeks (except for kindergarten, which takes longer). A waiting list may be established.
- Tuition must be paid in full by August 1.
2017-2018 Tuition Rates
- Grades K-8:
- $1,337 for the first child in a family
- $1,094 for each additional child from the same family
- Grades 9-12:
- $1,701 for the first child in a family
- $1,458 for each additional child from the same family
Forms and Reference Items for 2018-2019
Students enrolling in the Charlottesville City Schools for the first time must provide:
- Original birth certificate (or certified copy)
- Proof of residency
- Mortgage, lease, real estate tax statement OR
- Driver’s license/government-issued photo ID plus current utility bill (electric, gas, water/sewer)
- A completed Virginia School Entrance Health Form showing that the child has received a physical examination performed by a physician within a year of enrollment. (Required for new students in preschool-grade 5; required for all kindergartners, even if they were enrolled in the preschool program.)
- A completed immunization record (for all grades; part of the School Entrance Health Form)
- Custody or guardianship paperwork (if necessary)
- Don’t have everything? Bring what you have to the school, and they will help you.
For Current/Returning Students Who Attended Charlottesville City Schools Last Year:
Current students returning for preschool or kindergarten for the 18-19 year should complete the “new student” forms, and kindergarten families should attend open house on April 18 and bring the necessary documents..
- If you need to complete or update your student’s contact information for the 2017-18 year, contact your school.
- If you are looking ahead to next year, the online forms will be posted in PowerSchool in August.
- Log into PowerSchool now to make sure all of your students are connected to your parent portal. And check in regularly to monitor your students’ grades, attendance, meal balances, and more.
Need help logging into PowerSchool?
- If you already have an account, PowerSchool also has a username and password retrieval system.
- If you’re opening an account for the first time, call 245-2943 to get the codes you’ll need.
Looking for information about course selection and enrollment? Start with the Program of Studies.